Combine the following sentences using subordination and coordination. Be sure to punctuate appropriately.
My niece is an excellent basketball player.
She does not plan to try out for the team.
Sandra never rides the Ferris wheel.
She is afraid of heights.
I get home after work.
I’ll give you a call.
My company is very conservative.
I have to wear a suit every day.
I get home from work.
I immediately slip into a sweatshirt and jeans.
Combine the following sentences using coordination and subordination appropriately. That is, make sure to subordinate ideas that should be subordinated. Be sure to punctuate correctly.
You want to save money in the supermarket.
You should learn where the bargains are and are not.
Managers want to sell high-cost items like imported mustard.
They place these items on eye-level shelves.
Shoppers are less likely to look on lower shelves.
Managers put less profitable items there.
Grandpa never graduated from high school.
He strongly believes in education.
He was the first one to take me to a library.
He has always encouraged me to study hard.
Grandpa retired from his job at the factory.
He began studying to get a high school diploma.
Review the following sentences and determine whether they are simple, compound, complex or compound-complex. Also, identify applicable active and passive structures. When necessary, edit to fix errors in punctuation, parallelism, etc. (It should help if you identify the sentence pattern.)
- Each day I returned to the coffee shop with hopes that he would come in after me and share more of his stories and every day, he did not disappoint–stories of war, romance, intrigue, deception–and every day they were more and more involved.
- Kirtha refused to move and quickly dragged Zane back down beside her. Her hand covering her mouth in an attempt to keep him from giving away their location.
- Being stoned to death, is the prize for the lucky chosen from the “black box.”
- Psychodynamic psychology has the same ideas ideas as psychoanalysis, but is more often practiced, and is more short term.
- When he did this, he observed that her sense of well being was quickly restored and he hypothesized that his sequence of disruption and reparation when kept at optimal level can be helpful.
- The structure of sentences and paragraphs establish the foundation of one’s argument within a paper, and contribute to the comprehension of one’s argument.
- Since Christine never had children of her own she took the responsibility of raising her brothers.
- I intentionally wrote this sentence to summarize my entire paper and I made a conscious decision to use it as the final sentence in the conclusion because I wanted to reiterate my ideas a final time.
- By omitting the other side of the conversation, and presenting it in abbreviated sentences, the author accomplishes a couple of objectives.
- As I was comparing the length of the paragraphs, the number of sentences, and the length of sentences I noticed some obvious differences in the way I write compared to the excerpt from the novel.